The AOW is a basic state pension for people who have reached their AOW pension age. If you live or work in the Netherlands, you will almost certainly be insured under the AOW scheme. AOW pension is paid by the SVB.
Old Age Act (AOW) / Old age pension scheme
- Maximum level of the AOW pension in the Netherlands equals 70% of (minimum) net wage.
- AOW pension is a flat-rate supplement.
- Applicable for all residents (or workers) based in the Netherlands older than 65 and those who have been residents (or workers) between the ages of 15 and 65.
- For every year of living (or working) in the Netherlands, 2% of the old age pension (full rate) is accumulated.
- Payable from the age of 64 in the Netherlands or any other countries that the Dutch tax authorities have signed a reciprocal pensions agreement with.
- Unaffected by other forms of income but depends on marital status.
Private pensions in the Netherlands
- Obtained by individual pension providers
- Most pension funds are already included in the occupational pension
Occupational pensions (Bedrijfspensioen)
- Optional for employers but quite common in the Netherlands.
- Depends on the salary and contribution rate.
- Total occupational pension may rise up to 70% of the last salary if the collective labour agreement lasts for minimum (maximum) 35 (40) years.
More information can be found at: