Restrictions Work Permit

You are coming to the Netherlands to do research or teach at a higher education institution. But for whatever reason you may want (or need!) a second job. Here you can read whether this is legally possible.

To have a work permit or not… that’s the question!
If you have a residence permit for the purpose of “work” you may think that you can pick up any job you like, or even have two jobs. However, this is a far cry from reality.

If your employer has arranged a work permit for you, this permit allows you to do the exact job that you are hired for, and no other job. You can have a second job, but your second employer will then need to apply for an additional work permit for you.

As a scientific researcher or guest lecturer there is a good chance that you are allowed to work without a work permit. Your residence permit will most likely read: “Work permit not required. Other work not permitted”.

Now the advantage of not requiring a work permit turns against you. You are not allowed to do any other job than the job that your residence permit was granted for. Therefore, having a job “on the side” is not an option, even if you need it to supplement your income.

Highly skilled migrant can have two employers
A note should be made regarding highly skilled migrants. A highly skilled migrant can have two employers, as long as he qualifies as a highly skilled migrant for both jobs. These requirements are laid out in the Aliens Act. 


Add this FactCard to your website

Is the information on this FactCard relevant to your audience?

Feel free to share this FactCard on your website. This is very easy and will enhance the service level to your visitors.

Simply check the preview, copy the embed code, paste it in your website and you are done!

Preview and embed this FactCard


Work Permit

Related Decks

Favorites Close

Share your favorite factcards via email


Embed Close

Add it to your site

                  <iframe id="141024bc-013c-11e9-90b8-005056ba61af" onload="var a=this.src.split('/');this.contentWindow.postMessage('init,' +,a[0] + '//' +a[2]);window.addEventListener('message', function(e){var',');if(b[0]{this.height=b[1];}}.bind(this), false);" src="" width="100%" style="border:none;"></iframe>