Registering your baby

All newborns must be registered. The Dutch law says that this must be done within 3 days after birth. A newborn can be registered at the town hall (gemeentehuis) by you, your partner or any person that was present at birth. 

The following documents will be required:

  • Both parents' passports
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Residence permits
  • If not married you have to arrange the ‘acknowledgment of paternity’ (erkenning van het ongeboren kind) already during the pregnancy, also through town hall.

Some countries allow you to register the foreign birth of a child at the embassy. Contact the embassy before the birth takes place so that you know what to do and what the time limits are, if any. When you register your child’s birth, you can ask the officials for an ‘international birth certificate’, which may prove useful in your home country. If you need the international birth certificate to register a foreign birth at your embassy, it will be provided free of charge. A fee is payable for any other copies.

You might also have to register the child with the Aliens Police (Vreemdelingenpolitie). Call ahead of time as it might be necessary to make an appointment. Take the original international birth certificate and your passport with you.


Add this FactCard to your website

Is the information on this FactCard relevant to your audience?

Feel free to share this FactCard on your website. This is very easy and will enhance the service level to your visitors.

Simply check the preview, copy the embed code, paste it in your website and you are done!

Preview and embed this FactCard

Related Decks