Before Arrival


Entry visa preceding a residence permit (MVV)

Depending on your nationality you might need a visa to cross the border into the Netherlands or into the Schengen area (which comprises of many European countries). The entry visa applicable for stays over 90 days is called a provisional residence permit or MVV (from the Dutch term machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf).

You can read more information about the MVV on this website of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Purpose Of Stay
A provisional residence permit is always issued for one particular purpose of stay. Examples include “highly skilled migrant” or “scientific researcher under EC Directive 2016/801”. 

Application procedure
Your employer may need to apply for a provisional Residence Permit (MVV) for you. The employer submits an application both for an mvv and a residence permit at the same time.

The IND (Immigration services) assesses the application and notifies your employer/host of the outcome. When it has been granted, the Dutch embassy/consulate will be notified as well.

From that moment on you can collect your MVV from the Dutch embassy. To collect your MVV at the Dutch embassy or consulate you will often need to make an appointment.


Add this FactCard to your website

Is the information on this FactCard relevant to your audience?

Feel free to share this FactCard on your website. This is very easy and will enhance the service level to your visitors.

Simply check the preview, copy the embed code, paste it in your website and you are done!

Preview and embed this FactCard

Related Decks

View all