Before Arrival


Residence Permit (VVR)

Depending on your nationality, you need a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days. The Dutch term for residence permit is "verblijfsvergunning regulier", which is abbreviated to "VVR". There are different types of residence permits, which could fit your situation as researcher and or academic staff.

Check the visa wizard to find out if you need a residence permit, and entry visa.

A residence permit provides rights
The residence permit is a plastic card the size of a credit card. This card serves as proof of your identity, nationality and lawful residence in the Netherlands.

Your residence permit allows you to enter and exit the Netherlands and travel through the Schengen area. Your stay in other Schengen countries is limited to a maximum period of three months within a six month period. If you intend to stay abroad longer, you must comply with the immigration regulations of that country.

Different types of residence permits
A residence permit is always issued for one particular situation (purpose of stay). There are five purposes of stay relevant for researchers and or academic staff:

  • Highly skilled migrant (kennismigrantenregeling)
  • Scientific researcher under EC Directive 2005/71 - the transposition of the EC scientific visa into Dutch legislation
  • Guest lecturer
  • Blue Card
  • Orientation year for highly educated migrants seeking employment (Regeling hoogopgeleiden)

Sometimes more than one type of residence permit fits your situation, in that situation you can choose which one you prefer. Every type comes with a different set of conditions and advantages. For example sometimes it includes a work permit weaver and sometimes a high minimum salary requirement applies. Go to the overview of the different residence permits to find out which type fits your situation best.

More information
The website of the IND (the Immigration and Naturalisation services, they deal with your residence permit application).

New to Holland This website provides information about the arrangements you will need to make if you come to the Netherlands, whether temporarily or permanently.


Add this FactCard to your website

Is the information on this FactCard relevant to your audience?

Feel free to share this FactCard on your website. This is very easy and will enhance the service level to your visitors.

Simply check the preview, copy the embed code, paste it in your website and you are done!

Preview and embed this FactCard

Related Decks

View all
Favorites Close

Share your favorite factcards via email


Embed Close

Add it to your site

                  <iframe id="738480e0-14e4-11e8-b9a5-005056ba61af" onload="var a=this.src.split('/');this.contentWindow.postMessage('init,' +,a[0] + '//' +a[2]);window.addEventListener('message', function(e){var',');if(b[0]{this.height=b[1];}}.bind(this), false);" src="" width="100%" style="border:none;"></iframe>