Residence Permit (VVR)

If you are a non EU/EER citizen and your stay in The Netherlands will be longer than 90 days, you probably need a residence permit. To make sure if this applies to you, you can do the visa wizard check.

Check the visa wizard to find out if you need a visa, a residence permit or work permit when coming to the Netherlands

Introduction to Dutch residence permits
The residence permit is a plastic card the size of a credit card. This card serves as proof of your identity, nationality and lawful residence in the Netherlands.

Your residence permit allows you to enter and exit the Netherlands and travel through the Schengen area. Your stay in other Schengen countries is limited to a maximum period of 90 days within a period of 180 days. If you intend to stay abroad longer, you must comply with the immigration regulations of that country.

Types of residence permits for highly skilled people
Each residence permit is given for a specific ‘purpose of stay’, which dictates the rights attached to the residence permit. Three residence permits for scientific staff:

  • Highly skilled migrant scheme,
  • Researchers under EU directive 2005/71
  • European Blue Card

Go to the overview of the different residence permits to find out which type fits your situation best.

More information
For more information please contact your employer/host organisation, or the IND.


Add this FactCard to your website

Is the information on this FactCard relevant to your audience?

Feel free to share this FactCard on your website. This is very easy and will enhance the service level to your visitors.

Simply check the preview, copy the embed code, paste it in your website and you are done!

Preview and embed this FactCard

Related Decks