EMBL is Europe’s leading life sciences laboratory
We train students and scientists to perform world-class biological research, and provide state-of-the-art - technologies for a wide range of scientific and experimental services. More than 1700 scientists working at six laboratory sites throughout Europe are publishing over 800 publications per year, and running events and conferences at the cutting edge of biological research. EMBL seeks to better understand the molecular basis of life. In the process, we’re changing European science.
EMBL was set up to promote molecular biology across Europe, and to create a centre of excellence for training Europe's leading young molecular biologists. To accomplish this, EMBL pursues five missions:
- Perform fundamental research in molecular biology
- Provide facilities and services for life scientists
- Develop and share new technologies and methods
- Teach and train students and scientists
- Integrate European life-science research