Health Care


Healthcare insurance

During your stay in the Netherlands you must make sure you are adequately insured, both for your health and other risks. Your host institution can advise you on which insurance to take out/bring. Here information is provided both on the health insurance system and on when you are adequately insured.

Which healthcare insurance applies to you
Healthcare insurance flowchart

Types of healthcare insurance

Dutch public healthcare insurance
You will participate in the Dutch public healthcare insurance if you fall under the Dutch social security - either through being employed by a Dutch employer or through long-term residency. Please check the flowchart on this webpage to see if you qualify for public health care insurance. The HR department of your employer will also be able to provide you with information. 

Finding a suitable insurance
Although it is a public health insurance scheme, the insurance policies are provided by private insurance companies. Each company offers a slightly different package and competes on different service levels. They cannot cut on the minimum coverage, so that will be provided with every insurer. Things to look out for:

  • Own risk component - which 'eigen risico' (Dutch for 'own risk') will suit you.
  • Find out if they offer any service in English (not only basic information, but also declaration forms etc).
  • Find out if you can get discount through an organisation. By law organisations, unions, clubs etc. can be given up to 10% discount if they hook up with one insurance company.
  • Find out what the rules are around traveling abroad and healthcare coverage. Most insurances now provide the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) automatically, but this is not always the case. This EHIC can make your life easier if you travel within Europe and find you need urgent medical treatment.

Be aware that a public healthcare insurance only covers medical expenses and repatriation costs back to the Netherlands. For other costs, such as repatriation back to your home country, or liability, you will need to take out an insurance with a different insurance company.

Dutch private health insurance
Several private insurance companies sell policies designed especially for students and researchers coming to the Netherlands.

These insurance companies provide an insurance package including healthcare insurance, as well as liability insurance, accident insurance, theft insurance, travel insurance, repatriation insurance and legal aid insurance. They provide adequate healthcare cover and information in English.

Companies that provide services to international students and researchers are AON, Insure to Study and Heilbron.


Add this FactCard to your website

Is the information on this FactCard relevant to your audience?

Feel free to share this FactCard on your website. This is very easy and will enhance the service level to your visitors.

Simply check the preview, copy the embed code, paste it in your website and you are done!

Preview and embed this FactCard

Related Decks